My husband and I LOVE butter chicken. We would like to eat delicious butter chicken at an authentic Indian restaurant, but in reality it is difficult since we have small children. We don’t get to eat out a lot any more.
As you might have noticed from my blog, my cooking style is easy, quick and nutritious. My days tend to be more chaotic with the boys around and I don’t get to plan a perfect meal with a recipe book. I just look into the fridge and whip something up.
However, I still want to enjoy what I eat and I like to fulfill what my husband or I are craving that day.
Today felt like a butter chicken day for me.
I have this easy way to make a Butter Chicken “style” stew at home. I have been cooking this way at home for a while since I don’t usually have a jar of butter chicken mix, a series of Indian spices or cans of tomatoes on hand, and I needed to create something that feels like butter chicken with whatever we have at home.
What you need (4 servings):
- 300g of chicken thigh or breast
- 1/4 onion
- 5 button mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/3 of Japanese Curry roux package (I used Glico curry mix in mild)
- 1/2-1 cup of apple juice or water
- 1 TBS of ketchup
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 TBS of butter
What you do:
- Dice the onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, and chicken into really small pieces (having smaller pieces shortens the cooking time)
- Fry them in the pan (if you are using chicken thigh, the fat from the chicken is enough to fry other vegetables too, but if you use chicken breast, you might need to add small amount of oil)
- Once they are all cooked and onion and tomatoes start to become liquidy, add the curry roux block to the mix and let it melt.
- Pour water or apple juice and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add ketchup and milk and stir well while it boils up.
- Lastly, add in the butter and let it melt and mix with the sauce to make it creamy!
* Add extra spice to your liking
Isn’t it pretty simple? What I love about it is that I usually have all of these ingredients at home! The key, of course, is the curry roux. It has lots of spices and is flavourful enough that I don’t really need to add any other spices.
If you can’t find Japanese curry roux, you can use curry powder that you can find at a spice isle.
This dish is mild enough that my boys would eat a diluted version of it and they like it. Also, it’s loaded with vegetables so it’s nutritious! The problem is… because the sauce is so good, I eat way too much rice with it. haha
Thank you so much for reading.
Follow me on Instagram for my day-to-day pictures!
Have a great night.